Sunday, November 11, 2007

From the trench

Being my first foray in New Orleans since I was a lot younger (I'm thinking I was like 11), it is interesting to see this city in a new light. Obviously the devastation of Hurricane Katrina still lingers, and I'm not sure which way New Orleans residents want to focus. I haven't talked to enough of them I guess. I feel like such an out of towner -- which is an odd thing to feel for someone who blends in so well.
Today's medical meeting was a very enlightening session and I learned a lot about what goes on at a major medical conference. Some people see it as a chore, some as a great opportunity to network with old friends -- or as the Mr. Gallagher put it -- a chance to keep up with your training all in one booze-filled weekend.
I won't be seeing the hospitals until tomorrow afternoon late, so it's hard for me to "beat report." I will say that something here sets me uneasy. It could be the negative press or it could be all the foreboding warnings given to me. It might even be all those mausoleums that I'm not crazy about. We will see if my mood changes any in the next few days.
Hopefully I'll find reason to get on the "Renew Orleans" bandwagon and bring it home to Athens where it is so sorely lacking.

1 comment:

T Guy Echols said...

Attending the eye doctor meeting gave me an even greater respect for doctors and how long and difficult their training is.

The technology in fighting eye disease is amazing now.

We are blessed to live in such a country.