Thursday, December 13, 2007

Blowin' Up

So my article has achieved 11 comments on The Red & Black Web site now.
My favorite thus far:
"The "poor" people are only that way because they are the lazy ones waiting around for the government to do something. In the neighborhood I was working in, I saw one family chilling in their trailer and roasting marshmallows they undoubtedly purchased with their fraudulent welfare check. Their house was still soggy and nothing had been accomplished. But who cares? They have free housing, even if it is a trailer!"

This was submitted by an anonymous user named "spoon."
Wow.
While reading what people have to say I see a lot of people comparing the damage of New Orleans to that in Mississippi. I hear the "laziness" comment all too much. I hear testimonial of people who "live in New Orleans."
But then again, I'm not sure who to trust. Thanks to the anonymity granted by the Internet, people are free to vocalize their strange and sometimes disturbing opinions.
The difference though, between us and them, is our facts. Those pesky little things that make arguments solid. We know that without them people will see right through us and question us; they know that sometimes people get so wrapped up in emotion they forget to ask for those facts.
If the Internet is ever going to harbor the quality of news existing in print today then we are going to have to make damn sure the quality stays the same. Facts and all.

1 comment:

Pat Thomas said...

It is easy to have a knee-jerk, blame-the-victim response to bad news if you haven't gathered facts and been an eye witness. The world seems overpopulated with angry folks who blame the imperfections of their own life on someone else: if not their parents and teachers, then immigrants and poor people.

Sounds like your R&B piece brought a lot of them out of the woodwork.