Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Just hold it

As many can probably tell, I'm a bit of a pop-culture junkie. As I was reading this article today (courtesy Health News Review) I could only think about was comedian George Carlin.
The article goes in depth in looking at induced labor for child birth -- something I hope to never have to deal with -- and the dangers possible. At one point the article compares the attitudes of pregnant women to those wanting to get their nails done: they need an appointment that conveniently fits their schedule. Something seems wrong about scheduling child birth, but I can't blame people for trying. It may be my missed perception but the impression I often get from some parents is that their kids are great, but they can get in the way. Example: people that wear their babies in backpack harness things. I know I'm stealing this joke from Carlin who always said it best:
"I have a problem with married people who carry their babies in backpacks or frontpacks or slings, or whatever those devices are called. These baby-carrying devices that seem designed to leave the parent's hands free to sort through merchandise. Hey, Mr. and Mrs. Natural Fibers, is it too much trouble to ask you to hold the fuckin' kid? Are you so busy picking out consumer goods and reaching for your credit card that you can't hold the baby? It's not an accessory or a small appliance. It's a baby."
To me, holding the kid just seems natural -- but I don't have kids. I'm going to e-mail Pilcher and Ralston at ARMC and St. Mary's and see if their family birthing units have experienced anymore of this "trend."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What always gets me are the "kiddie leashes." There is something odd about seeing a child on a leash. Watch long enough and you are bound to see one that runs, reaches the "end of his line" and gets jerked to the ground. Is that inhumane? But I must admit that the more I see little kids run wild the more those leashes start to look like a good idea.