Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Two in one day?

I couldn't resist this one: this article in the AJC -- originally published in the La. Times -- shows that some viewers of the hospital drama "ER" actually changed some of their unhealthy ways after the shows aired. The survey showed that viewers had increased knowledge of nutrition, and were more likely to cite a change in their diet and/or exercise patters!
See, isn't pop-culture wonderful?
Of course the journalist and researcher (read: skeptic) in me wonders how much of this was actually valid data. Sure after seeing the show I'm sure plenty of people would like to think they are actually more active and health-conscious but I sorta think that people probably went back to doing the same crap they have been doing. Studies have shown in TV news that no one really learns much of anything from this passive activity -- but of course the drama and emotional involvement in "ER" is probably very real to some people. Probably a lot like if the event happened to a close friend.
I do wonder though, if this study is true, how long these TV effects last? How many McDonald's commercials are these couch potatoes going to suffer through before they break their emergency-room-drama-inspired habits? I'm betting the over-under on that one is somewhere around a month. Or at least until the season ends.

2 comments:

Amber Roessner said...

So young to be so cynical...just teasing. I seriously doubt that the effects of ER-related health changes are permanent. I'm personally a Grey's Anatomy fan, but I can honestly say that I've never changed any health habits after watching the show.

Tabitha said...

I like Grey's Anatomy, too. I wish it would affect me like that. Changing diet and exercise routines is so hard. I always seem to be too busy to make any lasting changes.